Monday, September 27, 2010

The Drug Pushers' Free Lunches

Joshua Batt, Medical Student, Emergency Medicine, 12:41PM Sep 25, 2010

"Big Pharma", as it is affectionately called, has medical providers in the crosshairs. Despite laws prohibiting the extent to which they "promote" their products, they continue to push the latest medications at any cost. As medical students we enjoy the "free" pens, stationary, and lunches. After all, there is a free lunch every day and it is our job to find it.

The controversy of the pharmaceutical giveaways is becoming tamer, but reps are always on the hunt for a few to jump on command. Of course I enjoy having food brought to my facility and offered for a mini lecture on the new drug or medical device. In all reality I probably would never hear about the medicine on my own and they give some education as to indications, contraindications etc. The problem is that their drug is usually "the best" on the market, so there is a little research to be done in my spare time to see what may be lurking in the shadows that I have not been told.

Many will argue that it is not right to receive the free handouts because it drives up costs for the patient. There is certainly some cost involved on that end which pays for the representatives to market the products. That's business. Without the drug reps making their rounds, some of the latest drugs would go unused, meaning patients may be missing a medicine that could have a potential benefit in their situation.

Round and round the battle goes. With little pharmacologic didactic sessions in the clinics I am willing to spend a little time pleasing my palate while learning something new and pertinent to my career. This month in particular has been unique in that representatives visit us four days each week. I just plan on it for lunch and learn a little in the process.

Perhaps I have overlooked a glaring flaw in this model of medicinal dissemination and by all means I would love to hear your opinions or stories.

No comments: